Elements in the Periodic Table are organised in rows
This is because there are regular repeating patterns in
physical and chemical properties.
The repeating patterns in properties of elements are due
to repeating patterns in their electron configurations. In this activity we
look at trends in some of the properties of the elements and how these
properties change as we move down and across the periodic table.
Graphs are a useful way of showing trends. In this
investigation we will graph melting points, atomic radius and ionisation energy
of the first 36 elements (the first 3 periods), and look for trends and
Use the data provided to construct graphs in the
Data:Plot trends in
number against melting point.
What trends in melting point do you observe:
across a period?
down a group?
Plot trends in
number against atomic radius.
trend do you observe across a period?
trend do you observe at the start of a period?
why the trend in atomic radius moving across a period is different from the
trend moving down a group.
Plot trends in ionization energy:
number against ionization energy.
a) What trend do you observe across a period?
b) What trend do you observe at the start of a period?
electron shell configuration of Barium below:
Barium: 2, 8,
…………………………………. How many electrons are in the outer shell?
b) The first three ionization energies of Barium are
To remove the outermost electron 1st ionization energy:
502.9 kJ mol-1
To remove the next outermost electron 2nd ionization
energy: 965.2 kJ mol-1
To remove the next outermost electron 3rd ionization
energy: 3600 kJ mol-1
Explain why the second ionization energy of Barium is relatively
small and the third ionization energy is much larger than the first or the
5. As we move from left to right across a period,
electrons are added one at a time. Explain how this affects the trend in
ionization energy shown in your graph:
Why Choose Us
- 100% non-plagiarized Papers
- 24/7 /365 Service Available
- Affordable Prices
- Any Paper, Urgency, and Subject
- Will complete your papers in 6 hours
- On-time Delivery
- Money-back and Privacy guarantees
- Unlimited Amendments upon request
- Satisfaction guarantee
How it Works
- Click on the “Place Order” tab at the top menu or “Order Now” icon at the bottom and a new page will appear with an order form to be filled.
- Fill in your paper’s requirements in the "PAPER DETAILS" section.
- Fill in your paper’s academic level, deadline, and the required number of pages from the drop-down menus.
- Click “CREATE ACCOUNT & SIGN IN” to enter your registration details and get an account with us for record-keeping and then, click on “PROCEED TO CHECKOUT” at the bottom of the page.
- From there, the payment sections will show, follow the guided payment process and your order will be available for our writing team to work on it.